April 26, 2010

Thunder and Lighning

Last night I was laying in bed, looking at my room in flashing lightning. The rain started to bang against the window. Lightning, thunder, banging rain outside. But I was inside, in my small room, in my small bed, with the roof over my head and a blanket to keep me warm. I would probably not even notice it hadn't I not imagined myself with no roof, no bed, sitting outside in the rain after midnight. A surge of gratitude enveloped me. Suddenly I felt so happy having what I had and being where I was, even though at other times I would have been discontent.
To become a little happier, we just need to learn to notice small things that surround, sustain and support us on daily basis. Nothing has any value until we assign it one and that depends on the perspective we take after a comparison.
I made a choice to compare myself being either outside, wet, under a thundering sky, or my small bed and a warm blankie, as opposed to being either in my small room and a small bed or a spacious room, king size bed, and a place where the skies didn't crack.
I fell asleep with a smile on my face even though the outside was frightening. Contentment made me feel a bit safer. And happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails