April 10, 2010

Taking Risks


"If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go into business, because we'd be cynical. Well, that's nonsense. You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down." -- Ray Bradbury

I saw this quote and at first, I concurred. Then, thoughts invaded my mind about taking chances. A question of balance emerged at the forefront. I understand the point of the quote but if I zoom it in, I wonder if we really "have got to jump off cliffs all the time." Taking risks is a great way to build a life of growth, learning, and strong emotions. But, is it about taking risks just because they are provided, or should we be more selective and use intellect to figure out what makes more sense?
There are many more questions I can raise but I will say only one more thing: There's a reason why humans were given the voice of the heart and the voice of the intellect. To neglect any of them would be unwise. Whichever speaks louder, should be the one followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails