March 21, 2010

Just Being

I was sitting on the porch outside, cutting my nails. A dog was laying next to me. My mind was occupied with getting my nails cut so I could normally play my violin. The dog kept laying next to me, looking around and reacting to noises. It seemed so unconcerned about anything except what was happening at the time. I was. Just sitting on the porch, reacting to noises wasn't acceptable to me. I had to be productive. I had to cut my nails or think about what I was going to do next.
When I looked at the dog, I wanted some of that serenity. I just wanted to be able to sit on the porch and just sit there, without trying to be productive in any way or without analyzing how much time had elapsed. When I was done cutting my nails, I sat there and breathed. After 3 minutes I couldn't do it anymore and went inside.
I knew that I had a long way to go to learn how to just enjoy "non-action" - simple sacred thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails